The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program (MCFSP) at the University of Pretoria (UP) for full-time
postgraduate study is open to students who have already completed a bachelor’s degree and are residents or citizens of an African country.
The MCFSP offers a full scholarship to selected students who have been provisionally admitted to study towards a postgraduate degree at UP. Graduates must return to their home countries on completion of their studies and give back to their communities. The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program (MCFSP) targets academically talented yet economically disadvantaged young people in Africa who will contribute to the transformation of the continent through their knowledge, skills, attitudes, and values evidenced by their leadership.
Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program Benefits:
If your application is successful, the Program will cover the following:
- Full tuition fees
- VISA costs
- Reasonable travel costs (including flight ticket) to and from your home
- Leadership development opportunities
- Academic advising and counseling support
- Accommodation and meals in a UP residence or UP-accredited accommodation
- A modest monthly stipend
- Textbooks and printed material
- Medical aid cover for the duration of the study
MasterCard Foundation Scholarship Program at the University of Pretoria- Areas.
- Faculty of Natural and Agricultural Sciences
- Faculty of Humanities for entry into the Honours or Masters (Political Studies or International Studies only)
- Faculty of Engineering – continuing students are eligible to apply
- Faculty of Economic and Management Sciences
- Candidates should demonstrate leadership potential and ought to be involved in a giving back project eg. in a community, at school, church etc
- Candidates should be citizens from Africa.
- Applicants should come from economically disadvantaged backgrounds and demonstrate financial neediness.
- Academic excellence is paramount and students have to maintain a high academic average at all times.
- Proof of your provisional admission or application for admission letter from the University of
- Proof of gross income (payslip(s)/pension advice(s)/financial statements/allowances,
maintenance) not older than 3 months for biological/adoptive parent(s)/legal guardian/spouse/applicant’s source of income.
- If no proof of income or if unemployed, the source of income/maintenance/allowance must be
provided per individual by means of an affidavit. House Executive/housewives must confirm any source of income by means of an affidavit.
- If biological/adoptive parent is single or never married, an affidavit confirming marital status and
maintenance – also if not receiving any financial assistance.
- If biological/adoptive parent(s) are deceased – death certificate(s).
- If biological/adoptive parent(s) are divorced, the decree of divorce and affidavit confirming
maintenance (also if not receiving any financial assistance).
- If legal guardian is appointed by a court, the court order must be provided or an affidavit supporting
this. Guardians must declare monthly allowance to the applicant by means of an affidavit.
- Certified copy of ID/Passport.
- IDs/passport for biological/adoptive parent(s)/legal guardian/spouse.
- IDs/passport and birth certificate for both applicant and siblings.
- Proof of enrolment of all siblings at tertiary institution(s).
How to apply
Applicants who have firmly accepted an offer of a place on a course at University of Pretoria and have meet all the eligibility criteria will be considered for this scholarship. Once you have been accepted or received confirmation that you have been provisionally accepted.
Complete this scholarship application and e-mail it as an attachment (document or scanned copy)for Postgraduate studies to [email protected] tel. +27 12-420-6621. If submitting a handwritten scholarship application, ensure the document and scanned copy is clearly legible.
Apply for admission at the University of Pretoria online at www.up.ac.za/apply
For the Postgraduate scholarship application form CLICK HERE
- Scholarships are limited and apply to students who cannot afford to pay full fees. Do not apply for a
scholarship if you or your parents can pay the full fees.
- Students may not hold other bursaries if awarded the Mastercard Foundation Scholarship (with the
exclusion of UP achievement awards).
- All the information provided must be accurate and true. Any falsification of information on this
application may result in your being excluded from the program as soon as it is discovered
Applications Deadline: 18 September 2020.