MSU Academic Calendar – See the official Michigan State University academic calendar, showing important dates, academic events, and deadlines.
MSU’s academic calendar includes a class schedule, exam schedule, holiday schedule, add/drop dates, fall break, winter break, spring break, and other important dates and deadlines.
The semester system is used at Michigan State University. An academic year typically consists of three semesters (Fall, Spring, and Summer). Each semester at MSU lasts approximately 14-15 weeks.
Courses are offered on a “semester” basis at Michigan State University, and credits earned are semester credits. Multiply semester credits by 3/2 to convert to “quarter” systems. Multiply by 2/3 to convert quarter credits to semester credits.
MSU considers you a full-time student if you have 12 or more credits. Freshmen need 0–27 credits, sophomores need 28–55 credits, juniors need 56–87 credits, and seniors need 88+ credits.
A minimum of 120 credits is required for all undergraduate baccalaureate programs. Most MSU programs are designed so a first-year student can complete it in 8 semesters by completing an average of 15 credits per semester.
In practice, students typically carry 12 to 18 credits per semester, depending on personal circumstances and the program of study chosen.
MSU Academic Calendar: Fall Session 2022-2023
Check out the MSU academic calendar for fall 2022 for important dates and deadlines.
- Appointment enrollment begins on April 11, 2022, and ends on April 22, 2022.
- MSU Open Enrollment for Fall 2022 begins on April 23, 2022.
- On August 11, 2022, the first tuition billing statements for Fall 2022 will be available electronically.
- MSU’s move-in date for 2022 is August 26 to August 28, 2022. The MSU Housing portal will be updated with move-in dates and times. As you prepare to move to Michigan State, be sure to check your MSU email account and mailbox for information on how move-in will work.
- On August 29, 2022, the initial minimum tuition and fee payments for Fall 2022 are due.
- From August 31, 2022, to December 11, 2022, there is a $100 late enrollment fee (fee waived for newly admitted and readmitted students).
- Classes at MSU begin on August 31, 2022. Students should follow their Monday class schedule on Wednesday, August 31, 2022. Classes will be held as usual on Thursday, September 1, and Friday, September 2, 2022.
- Labor Day is on Monday, September 5, 2022 (Michigan State University is closed).
- According to the MSU academic calendar 2022-2023, the online open add period for Fall ends on September 7, 2022, at 11:59 p.m.
- The deadline for visitor changes is September 7, 2022. It is the last day to switch to or from Visitor status for the fall semester; changes must be made in the Registrar’s Office by 5 p.m.
- On September 8, 2022, colleges will receive final certification forms for non-degree audit programs.
- The tuition refund period for Fall semester courses ends on September 23, 2022; no refunds will be issued after this date.
- According to the MSU academic calendar 2022, October 18, 2022, is the middle of the fall semester at Michigan State University.
- Changes to or from CR/NC for Fall must be made in the Registrar’s Office by 5 p.m. on October 18, 2022.
- MSU’s fall break 2022 (Break Days, Holiday – University Open) will take place from October 24 to October 25, 2022.
- MSU’s Thanksgiving break in 2022 will occur from October 24 to October 25, 2022. Michigan State University is closed for the holiday.
- Fall semester 2022 classes end on December 11, 2022.
- MSU Final Exams for the Fall Semester 2022 will be held from December 12 to December 16, 2022.
- MSU Commencements will be held on December 16, 2022, and December 17, 2022, for the Fall semester of 2022.
- MSU’s winter break 2022 (Christmas Holiday Break – University Closed) will take place from December 23, 2022, to January 2, 2023.
MSU Academic Calendar: Spring Session 2023-2024
Check out the MSU academic calendar for spring 2023 for important dates and deadlines.
- The deadline for enrolling by appointment for Spring 2023 and Summer 2023 is October 31, 2022.
- On November 12, 2022, open enrollment for Spring 2023 and Summer 2023 begins.
- On December 10, 2022, the first tuition billing statements for Spring 2023 will be available electronically.
- The first minimum tuition and fee payments for Spring 2023 are due on January 4, 2023.
- The late enrollment fee ($100) for Spring 2023 begins on January 9, 2023 (fee waived for newly admitted and readmitted students).
- Classes at MSU begin on January 9, 2023. Classes at Michigan State University begin in the Spring semester of 2023.
- The Spring online open add period ends on January 13, 2023, at 11:59 p.m.
- Changes to or from Visitor for Spring must be made in the Registrar’s Office by 5 p.m. on January 13, 2023.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day will be observed on January 16, 2023. MSU is open, but classes are canceled.
- According to the MSU academic calendar 2022-2023, final certification forms for non-degree audit programs will be delivered to colleges on January 19, 2023.
- The tuition refund period for Spring ends on February 3, 2023; no refunds will be issued after this date.
- The deadline to switch to or from CR/NC for Spring is March 1, 2023. It must be completed by 5 p.m. in the Registrar’s Office.
- The middle of the Spring semester 2023, according to the MSU academic calendar 2023, is March 1, 2023.
- MSU Spring Break 2023 will take place from March 6 to March 10, 2023.
- MSU’s Spring semester concludes on April 30, 2023.
- MSU Final Exams for the Spring Semester 2023 will be held from May 1 to May 5, 2023.
- MSU Commencements will occur from May 5, 2023, to May 7, 2023.